We are actively looking for volunteers for the next three months! Could this be you?
Samos Volunteers are welcoming refugees and asylum-seekers from the camp and shelters around Vathi to our educational and recreational programme. We are looking for support through time, donations, and sharing ideas.
Our timetable changes daily and our roles vary depending on the day-to-day needs. For this reason, an open-mind and a flexible approach to work is essential. If you are a teacher, you probably won’t just be teaching!
Skills we are looking for...
- Teaching experience with adults or children (English, German, French or Greek);
- Artistic, musical or cooking talent;
- Social media or communications expertise;
- Ability to run safe and structured activities with children;
- Language skills (particularly Arabic, Farsi, Greek, French, Urdu and Kurdish);
- ‘Green fingers’ (gardening);
- Interest in fitness and exercise, ability to run or assist our classes;
- Administrative tasks and working at the Alpha Centre reception;
- Sorting in our warehouse and distributions;
- Experience working with refugees, unaccompanied minors, or IDPs;
- Stress-resistant, resilient, physically and mentally fit.
- A minimum commitment of 4 weeks. However, we very much encourage you to stay longer if you can!
- Use your initiative. For example in finding your own transport each day, organising your accommodation, and taking responsibility for the tasks you are given.
- Always be reachable. Daily routines can often be disrupted by certain situations, such as the arrival of refugees on the island. It is crucial that all volunteers are contactable at all times and are able to adapt to new circumstances.
- Respect systems already in place.
- Flexibility. Willing to work outside of normal working hours/the night - the work in Samos is often unpredictable.
- English. Although our volunteers come from all over the world, we communicate primarily through English.
Please note, we cannot accept:
- Applicants who apply for a position more than three months in advance.
- Applicants who are intending to come to Samos to carry out research.
- Anyone under the age of 18.
Please make sure that you can meet all of the requirements prior to filling in our application form.